PURCHASING A WEBSITE
WHAT IS THE WORLD WIDE WEB?
The complete set of documents residing on all Internet servers that use the HTTP protocol, accessible to users via a simple point-and-click system.
WHAT IS A WEBSITE?
A collection of computer files published for worldwide viewing on the Internet.
WHY ARE WEBSITES IMPORTANT?
To make information known to a huge audience
2. To earn revenue
3. Most importantly, because consumers have come to expect a website to be available for every company and organization
THE THREE COMPONENTS OF A WEBSITE
Every website is made up of these three things:
1. The domain name (the address). This your URL (example: www.YOURSITE.com). It is purchased through either www.sedomainservices.com or another domain vendor, and can be compared to a street address for a house. This usually costs about $8.95 per year.
2. The hosting (the rent). This is your little piece of cyberspace. Basically, you pay www.sedomainservices.com or another hosting company to put your website into the "space on the web" that they own; in other words, you're paying rent. It usually runs $10/month or less and you should make sure to use a host with 24/7 technical support in case there is a problem.
3. The website itself (the house). This is the collection of beautifully designed pages that we create for you. When finished, we upload the pages to the hosting server, making them viewable to millions of people across the globe. Imaracom, LLC functions as a constructor of websites, but keep in mind that we do not own the "web property" (the hosting). In other words, if your hosting company (landlord) won't fix the leak, you must call them directly. Any technical support that we provide in this area is subject to the standard $65 per hour rate.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF WEBSITES?
1. Commercial (Example: Kellogs.com)
Set up to sell products or services or
Set up to promote a corporation or organization
2. Communities (Example: Myspace.com)
Earn money through advertisements
Companies advertise because of large audience
Companies advertise because of content
Addresses concerns of a specific audience or promotes widely accepted ideals
3. Personal (Example: Tickledorange.com)
For enjoyment/hobby or
To inform friends and family long-distance
DECIDING ON THE TYPE OF SITE FOR YOU
1. Think about who you want to reach
2. Think of what you want to site to accomplish
3. Visit successful sites in your field to get ideas
4. Take notes on everything you think of or see that pertains to your site!
CHOOSING A GOOD NAME
1. Simple, somewhat easy to spell and to remember
3. Search-engine Friendly
4. Think of who will be viewing the site
5. Think of what terms they might use to find it (example: if you think they’ll type in “handmade chocolates,” then the name “maryshandmadechocolates.com” may be a better choice than “marysconfectioncompany.com”)
6. Unique - Check and see whether or not it’s taken
7. If so, choose a completely different name so that your site doesn't get confused with the other and you don’t get sued for trademark infringement. Check www.uspto.gov
PURCHASING (RESERVING) THE NAME
1. Go to www.sedomainservices.com
2. Click under the appropriate heading and type in the name (remember to specify the .com, .net, etc… ending).
3. Create a name and password for your site.
4. Pay for the name (usually about $10/year).
5. Write down: The domain name, your username, your password, your order number, your PIN number (if you created a PIN), and your customer number (if you were assigned one)
6. We’ll take it from there! If you need help purchasing the domain name, we can help with that too. But if you know how, it’s a good idea to reserve your name as soon as possible, or someone else may purchase it.
DESIGNING A WEBSITE
The importance of design
Good design is critical to the success of your website. Many a site has failed, not because of poor content, but because of poor design. It has been said that it’s better to have no site than a bad site, because for many customers, your website is their first impression of you.
About Imaracom design
We at Imaracom understand the importance of easy navigation, quick loading, and other practical elements of website design. However, we also lend an artistic eye to the project ensuring that when customers visit your site, they come away impressed, excited, and telling others about your organization.
Designing your site
The actual tools of the trade include layout, navigation, color palettes, fonts and sometimes patterns. They can also include multimedia elements such as a flash slideshow or sound clips. Please click here to begin the site design process.